Bush Daughters Coming to Naperville | Shared Field for D203 & Park District | Implicit Bias Discussion

Donate Today

Bush Daughters Coming to Naperville:

Former first daughters Jenna Bush Hager and Barbara Pierce Bush are making a stop in Naperville to promote their first children’s book, “Sisters First.” The daughters of former President George W. Bush will appear at North Central College’s Pfeiffer Hall on November 24 at 2 p.m. They’ll read excerpts from their book, share stories about growing up in the White House, and take questions from the audience. Anderson’s Bookshop is hosting the event – you can find ticket information on their website.

Shared Field for D203/Park District:

A new field coming to Knoch Park will serve both the Naperville Park District and Naperville Unit School District 203. The two groups have agreed to split the costs of the synthetic turf field being built just south of Naperville Central High School. The park district will cover 57 percent of the field’s $4.2 million cost, while District 203 will pick up the remaining 43 percent. Field use will break down in a similar way, with the park district slotted for play on the weekends, some evenings, and the majority of the summer. District 203 teams will get weekday afternoons and some evenings during the school year. The field will be for multisport use, and should be ready for play next fall.

Implicit Bias Discussion:

Naperville Neighbors United hosted a meeting last night to discuss the subject of implicit bias. Indian Prairie School District 204’s Executive Director of Educational Equity Jennifer Rowe and District 203’s Executive Director of Diversity and Inclusion Dr. Rakeda Leaks led a roomful of participants through different activities to demonstrate implicit bias. They said the best way to fight against bias is to make an effort to interact and learn from people different than you in ways like race, gender, or sexual orientation.

Be Vigilant:

In light of multiple residential burglaries primarily in the north side of Naperville over the past few weeks, the Naperville Police Department is urging residents to take extra care. Remember to lock your patio and garage doors, as these have been entry points in recent burglaries. Also check that your windows are locked, and keep your home well lit. Be vigilant, and report any suspicious activity to the police department.